2024 Petroff College-Level Piano Competition
The 10th biennial Petroff College Level Piano Competition will be held on Saturday, March 2nd, 2024, in San Antonio, Texas.
- Each applicant must submit a twelve-to-fifteen minute video audition/recording of his or her performance of up to three pieces from the standard classical repertoire. Applicants should download and complete the Petroff competition entry form. Applicants should submit audition videos on a clearly labeled DVD disc, or via one of the well-known streaming services such as YouTube or Vimeo. Be sure to include the URL’s of the audition videos on the paper entry form. The entry fee is $20.
- If enough entries are received then the top five will be chosen as finalists and invited to the perform on March 2, 2024. If not enough entries are received the competition will be cancelled and the entry fee returned. DVDs will NOT be returned.
- The finalists will then prepare a twenty-to-twenty-five minute program to include a piece composed and designated by Dr. Petroff. (To be announced well in advance.) At the finalist’s discretion, the competition program does NOT need to include the audition pieces; however, pieces should be from the standard classical repertoire and contrast with the required piece. Dr. Petroff will send each finalist a digital copy of the required piece, but the piece is also available for purchase at Amazon.com in a 2018 Folio called “Complete Rhapsodies“. (<–Click on the folio title to go to the Amazon.com store.) The piece can be anywhere in the program and it will be judged on interpretation as well as skill in performance. One copy of scores for the remainder of the program must be presented at the competition. Scores will be returned. No photo-copies, please!
Dr. SungEun Park has an authorized recording of Rhapsody, No. 4 on “iTunes”. Prospective competitors may request access by email (Contact Us).
- The first place winner will receive $2,500; second place $1,500, third place $1,000. All prizes will be awarded unless it is apparent that there is a very great discrepancy between the recordings submitted and the actual performance in the competition.
- The Foundation reserves the right to record the competition and “publish” via social media or other internet resources.
The Foundation cannot provide transportation but will endeavor to find weekend lodging for contestants in the homes of volunteers. Please note on your application if you are interested in the Foundation attempts to find a volunteer host family for the weekend.
A printable application form is available now. Entries should arrive at the Rose Petroff Foundation no later than December 9, 2021. The application form includes the address.